Vegan Menudo?! Sounds like an oxymoron, right? So I bought a block of tofu with no idea what I was going to use it for. I needed to cook something for dinner so I thought to myself, “what Filipino dish incorporates cubes of meat that I could substitute with tofu?” First thought: menudo! Menudo usually has small cubes of pork in it, so I decided to experiment making this dish vegan with tofu. Turned out pretty well!
- Extra firm tofu, 1 block cut into small cubes – $1.99
- Organic tomato paste, 1 cup – $1.67
- Water, 1 cup
- Carrot, diced – $0.21
- Gold potato, diced – $0.66
- Garlic, 3 cloves minced
- Yellow onion, 1/2, chopped – $0.79
- Honey, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sambal, to taste (if you want a kick of spice)
Total Spent: $5.32 (had everything else in my fridge/pantry)
Notes For Next Time:
- Can probably reduce cooking time by adding the vegetables and tofu to the soup at the same time, since the tofu does not need additional cooking time like meat does.